
Josh took the kids out to buy me a present and I'm sitting here in this house pondering my last 30 years. Gosh, it almost seems near impossible that tomorrow I will turn 30. I remember when my uncle turned 30 and how I thought he was so old! Better yet, I remember when my mom turned 40 and I remember how it was such a big deal and now some of my friends are turning 40...and I'm only 10 years away!
I think how I want to remember 30 is by listing 30 things I'm grateful for over the past 30 years....Drumroll.....(and in no particular order)......
1. Having a mom who loved me enough to do what was best for me at all times, even if I didn't agree.
2. Being surrounded by the love and support of my nanny and poppa. I'm so blessed to share the kind of relationship most kids don't have with their grandparents. I <3 them so much!
3. Uncles who treated me like a kid sister (and still do)!
4. Loving home.
5. Dance. As a kid, it was all I knew.
6. ColorGuard. It's amazing how one extracurricular activity could make such a huge impact on your life. Shoot, it's the only reason I've been out of the country!
7. Mistakes. I've made some pretty big mistakes in my life, but without them, I wouldn't be who I am today and I wouldn't have learned the lessons I needed to learn.
8. My husband. He's the most amazing man, father, and husband. He represents the true meaning of completing me.
9. My children. My children have taught me so much about patience, love, and kidness. I cherish every moment I spend with them and I'm so blessed that God loved me enough to put them in my life!
10. My family. I'm so blessed to have immediate and extended family and in-laws.
11. My friends. I have some friends that I've known almost my entire life...and some that are new....and some that I've lost along the way. Each friendship provides something different for me...and I cherish each of them for different reasons--even the ones I've lost.
12. God. How many times I've looked up in the sky and asked the question "Why me?" And so many times I've felt so alone...but when the clouds clear, I can step back and see that God truly is the reason for everything I go through and even in my darkest moments, God is there with me.
13. My house. We still have so much left to do to around here, but it fits us and our family perfectly.
14. My education. I'm fortunate enough to have a Bachelor's Degree...and while there are days I long to go back for my Master's, I'm so fortunate for how far I've come.
15. My health. Sure, I have some issues (like my droopy-eye), but overall, I'm doing well and I'm thankful for that!
16. Publix. I'm so fortunate to work for a company that is still thriving in our market, a company I plan to retire from.
17. My job. I'm extremely grateful for my job, in general. I love what I do (even though some days it can be challenging) and I'm so blessed I get to say that!
18. Rainbows. Every time I see a rainbow, I think of someone that's no longer here with us on earth...and I feel like that's there way of telling me they're okay.
19. My loved ones that are no longer here. It saddens me that I've lost so many loved ones in my short life. Some died way-too-young...others, it was just their time. But as I grow older, I begin to cherish the memories I have of them and begin to look back more fondly of the things I learned....and miss them even more!
20. My Grandma Gladys. Oh my how she meant the world to me (and still does). I can still hear the sound of her voice when I close my eyes. She passed away when I was 8 and I'm fortunate that my children are developing a similar bond with their great-grandmother. I truly hope that one day, they, too, can see this gift.
21. My Aunt Mary. What an awesome, self-less woman. Not a day went by that she wasn't doing something for someone else. I will never forget the number of people that came to her calling hours. Each one had a story about how she'd done something for them and how grateful they were. I only hope that I can make as big of a mark on this life that she made.
22. Life's Lessons and Murphy's Law. They exist for a reason and I'm thankful that each one teaches me something new.
23. I love you. These three little words show how deeply you can care for someone and mean the world when they're said to you. I'll never forget hearing my husband and kids tell me that for the first time.
24. Beauty. I'm still trying to embrace my own, but I'm thankful that beauty is more than just what you see on the outside.
25. Higher thread count sheets. It's true, it's worth it, even a better night's sleep. :)
26. Sleep. You can't live without it and sometimes, when you're in a difficult situation, sleeping on it really can help you see things more clear.
27. Love. How great is it that we're allowed to feel such feelings about others?
28. Computers. They've put us back in touch with some that we might not otherwise get the pleasure.
29. Cell phones. I love being in touch with everyone, including texting.
30. Me. I'm thankful that I'm allowed to be here and experience all these things in life...and thankful for each and everyone of you.
I can only hope that the next 30 years are filled with more love, more laughter, and more learning. I'm so happy to have each of you as a part of the memories I have and I look forward to making more!
No comments:
Post a Comment