Thursday, July 15, 2010

And the beat goes on...

Well, today, I saw the Endocrinologist and received my own diagnosis of Insulin Resistance. Most people have an insulin level around 2 and mine is at 26. Which means my body is making too much insulin. They believe it's a result of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). While they're just making the diagnosis, they believe they can track it all the way back to 1998 when I first had trouble. They first saw my fatty liver (also atypical of PCOS) in 2004 on an ultrasound. I start some medication tomorrow to help control my insulin and sugar levels, so we'll see how that goes.

Hill-Rom called today and got us set up for delivery of our vest for Nickolas. We get 30 days risk-free so they go ahead and get you set up while they fight with the insurance company...and knowing my insurance company, I'm sure they have a LARGE fight on their hands.

His surgery is also only 3 days away and I'm nervous as all get out. I know what to expect and I guess that's what scares me the most...he's going to be in a lot of pain for about 3 weeks and it's awful to not be able to help him!

Alissa starts her shots tomorrow morning (OH...and I forgot to mention that she has an enlarged lymphnode they're keeping an eye on)...and I haven't told her it's a shot...but a prick in the arm. I know the minute she hear's the word shot, it's over. I feel like a bad mom, but I told her it would hurt and we have to go every week....so I'm not really trying to fool her....and I know after tomorrow the joke's on me :).

Then, there's Josh....my right-arm man. I really don't know how I'd get through all of this without him! He's there for me when I think I can't go on and lifts me up! He's the husband every girl needs!! I <3 him!!

Did I mention I've been on vacation? Sigh, I really wish I could find a way to not go back. There's been 2 issues I've had to deal with since out and well, it just reminds me of how much I wish I didn't have to worry about it. I know God takes care of things, but with all our medical expenses, short of winning the lottery, I just don't think we can make it happen. I've been on edge all night because I know I've got 3 good days and 1 surgery day left....and wow, I'm dreading it SO much!

Alissa's blossoming and ready for school! She talks about her school ALL the time. She's so excited and I'm excited for her...even though I know I'll be crying my eyes out on that first day!

Anyway, that's it for today (I think)....tomorrow, we're off to the beach after her shot...er prick in the arm....and I'm so looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brinn,

    I have PCOS, too. Apparently I have had it since I was 12, but no one knew. I wasn't diagnosed until 2007 because no one has really heard of it. Mine is really sever. It has caused sever endimetroisis so bad that it took my left ovary and attached it to my abdominal wall and couldn't be seen on an ultrasound. Before being diagnosed the blood work showed my insulin was at 30. It also caused my thyroid to shut down. I am having the hardest time losing weight, and I cant ever seem to just FEEL better.
    I know what you are going through on that end, and I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete