Thursday, June 30, 2011

Gimmie a "C", a "G", two "I's", a "T", and a "V"

What's that spell??  A crazy, hectic life for us.

Turns out Alissa's bloodwork revealed that she's just not going to make antibodies like she should.  So, after a long consultation with her immunologist and some tears from mom, we've decided to go ahead and get the authorizations in place for her to start IVIG, or Intravenous immunoglobulin therapy.  You can read more about it here:  http://www.wellness.com/reference/allergies/intravenous-immunoglobulin-therapy/

I'm a little nervous, it's human blood...I'd be crazy not to be nervous.  It will be monthly infusions and the first few will take up to 6 hours to go in.  After the first 6 months, we'll evaluate her and her blood to see if it's as beneficial as the doctor thinks it will be.  If it is, she'll transition to a subcutaneous IG that will be weekly treatments.  There are fewer side effects with the sub version because she's only getting a few antibodies at a time, instead of a whole month's worth.  We've been warned about infusion headaches and I'm a little nervous about those...she said they can last up to 48 hours and be so severe that she vomits and can't see straight.  But, in the end, if her quality of life is improved, it's worth it.  We've explained it all to her, but she won't fully understand until she goes through the first infusion.  Right now, she's excited because she says she won't be so tired all the time and will feel better.  She tells me "Mommy, I'm okay with that if I will feel good."  She's been asking all day today when we're starting...she's anxious to get going.

So, that leaves a C and a T....and if you put them together, you get the next adventure I'm on...CT (with and without contrast).  So I saw a RE (reproductive endocrinologist)/GYN today and she has some plans for me.  I really didn't like her wasn't sure at first if I liked her , but my husband tells me that bedside manner isn't as important as knowledge and treatment, so I'm going to give it a try.  I have to have blood work next Tuesday and the scan asap...and then in about 2 months, they'll be scheduling surgery.  She's going in to take a peek around and to (the way I understood it) cut holes in my ovaries.....the way she explained it was by doing so, it will allow better flow of those hormones or something...I'm going to do some more research to find out exactly (since I've never come across it in my research).  Shoot, just take 'em on out...just kidding. 

Oh, I left out the B and 12 above...turns out I'm short on that vitamin and if you're normal, you'll never be short...so, I'm waiting on lots more blood work to come back, hopefully early next week, to tell me in which ways I'm not normal....they're thinking celiac or something of that nature. 

They might just figure all us Goddard's out yet......

No comments:

Post a Comment