So I've been both happy and sad for the last about 15 hours. We went to our therapy session yesterday afternoon and we "graduated". We were supposed to have two sessions left, but our therapist felt that we were on track for handling all that we've been taught and unless we wanted to make two extra trips out, she didn't see the need. I'm really happy about that.....we'll make one trip out next Wednesday to do a post assessment and then see our psychiatrist (who we see monthly anyway)...and then that will be it until next month. With gas prices continuing to rise, it really does make me happy (and that we've been successfully taught, too, of course).
The sad part is that just like our doctor told us in the beginning--once we get the OCD under control any accompanying disorders will stand out--and they have. I'm anxious to see her on Wednesday so we can plan for next steps....but it's pretty obvious that he does have some oppositional defiant disorder....and I'm still teetering on the Asperger's line, too. I've been doing some research and he seems to fit, but I'm also trying to talk myself out of it at this point, too, saying he's not as bad as they're describing (or I'm overreacting). Either way, I'm just ready to get things moving.
Our therapist recommended us seeing someone for the ODD, closer to home. She said that they'd be more than happy to do it, but that with the drive we make, there's bound to be someone closer that could help just as well. She reminded me, though, that should the OCD flair up again and we need to see someone, to come back there....they're specially trained to handle OCD in small children...which I wouldn't even blink or ask a question about where to go.
We have an appointment with Child Find in May for testing....they'll test him for lots of stuff and then depending on where he falls, we could get a placement in a pre-k classroom next year for free (they're charging beginning next year for it) so that we can utilize the therapists on staff at the school. The other option is that if he doesn't fit within a full-time needs category, we could still get therapy through the school on an appointment basis...just like any other therapist. The key is it's all free through them....which considering my insurance won't pay for therapy for any of the possible diagnosis....I'll take what I can get.
So, until Wednesday, I think I'll continue to be happy and sad.......
No comments:
Post a Comment