Monday, May 18, 2009

We don't remember days....we remember moments...


How come when we decide to have children are we so obsessed with tiny little feet that we forget they're going to grow up?

And how come it seems that they grow up much quicker than we did? I remember being 10, wishing I was 16. Then, I remember being 16, wishing for 18. Man, time sure did seem to pass slowly.

But now that I have two kiddos of my own, time seems to pass faster than the speed of light. It seems like just yesterday, I was pregnant with Alissa...and craving watermelon (ooohhh, I couldn't get enough of it). And then I remember Christmas, right before she was born...how excited we were at the anticipation of her arrival. Now, here we are 4 and 1/2 years later and it seems like every time I blink, she's out growing clothes and getting taller. Her vocabulary and knowledge astounds me....

Then, there's Nickolas. One year ago, we still didn't think he'd ever be able to have "normal" food. He'd never eaten a piece of cake, never tasted sugar. And now, he eats everything in sight...and when I turn my back, he's grabbing Dove chocolate from his Oma's candy jar....by the handful. That 18 months of my life seemed to pass so slowly....from Dr. appt. to Dr. appt. we never seemed to get an answer...and one step forward was 3 steps back. But ever since July 17th, 2008....time for him has picked up speed....and now he's talking, and jumping, and running, and being 2 and 1/2.

12 and 1/2 years ago....I met Josh. I remember the moment as if it were yesterday....and even more, I remember that I was in 11th grade, planning for Prom....and praying for the next year to go by so I could graduate. I remember anxiously awaiting 18.....

Now, here I am 28 years old (I think, wait, let me count....yup, I'm 28). I've been married 7 and 1/2 years and have two beautiful kids.....and I'm still wondering where the time has gone....I almost don't remember being 20 or 24...all I remember are the moments I've spent with my husband and kids that made those ages special. So while when I was 10-praying for 16....I kind of like being 28 and not remembering days....but moments.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny too, how day to day you don't see your life changing, then when you take a step back at the end of a year, you can see all that's happened.

    It's fun to remember the good times and the blessings that come along. Even remembering the hard times makes me feel more grateful in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete